Black Mold Symptoms

Black mold, scientifically known as strachybotrysatra, is a toxic mold that poses a health hazard wherever it grows. It is associated with many chest conditions, and has been known to cause internal hemorrhaging and death in infants who have inhaled it.






Black mold symptoms will come about if you have been exposed to the mold. It grows in damp areas in your home, and if you see any symptoms of inhalation, you should look through your house to see where the black mold is growing so that you can get rid of it.

Symptoms of exposure will normally be found in your nose, airways and lungs. It’s because your body is trying to get rid of inhaled spores.

The symptoms will include:

    1. Breathing difficulties
      Your lungs are not performing at their optimum levels because they have sensed a contaminant. This makes it hard to breath, and can be particularly serious in individuals who suffer asthma.

      A 2004 study by the Institute of Medicine established a link between indoor exposure to mold and upper respiratory illnesses in otherwise healthy children and adults, as well as asthma symptoms in people with asthma.
    2. Aches and pains
      These are usually headaches and muscular aches from all the sneezing and coughing. They will most likely not ease until your body gets rid of the spores

  1. Itchy nose, airways
    There will be an irritation in the nose, but rather different from the one you get when you have a cold; you will feel that the irritation is as a result of something. You will also have a runny nose with thin mucus. The mucus is being expelled as the body tries to get rid of the spores.
  2. Dizziness
    If you are exposed to a high volume and for a long time, you will suffer dizziness and may have memory lapses and lack of concentration.
  3. Nausea, Digestive problems
    Again, this would happen at very high dosages of inhalation. You will feel nauseas and have a bad stomach. If the exposure is continued, you may suffer urinary tract problems.
  4. Skin reactions
    These will mostly be rashes or hives. This may be the first sign you will get of you come into contact with the mold.
  5. Infertility
    At very high levels, and if exposure is for a very long time, black mold can make you infertile. This happens in people who stay in abandoned buildings or people who live in cave-like places. This may also come with organ damage and irregular blood pressure.
  6. Death
    This happens, and is mostly found in infants. The spores damage the delicate internal organs and the infant will suffer internal bleeding and eventually death. It can happen too in adults who have a compromised immune system.

Black mold symptoms will not disappear until the contaminated area is removed. The symptoms get worse with continued exposure. If the reaction to the spores wasn’t very severe, you can get rid of the mold and sit out the symptoms. If they are severe, or if a child has been exposed to black mold, see a doctor.



WHO submission report – Truth about mold

Mayo Clinic (1999, September 10). Mayo Clinic Study Implicates Fungus As Cause Of Chronic Sinusitis. ScienceDaily. Retrieved October 12,


  1. amanda November 15, 2010
    • Admin December 4, 2010
    • amandanh03242 February 14, 2012
      • Admin February 16, 2012
  2. Steven January 25, 2011
  3. Elizabeth Grayer November 13, 2011
    • Chris November 17, 2011
  4. T Evans November 29, 2011
  5. Joshua December 1, 2011
  6. Tina James January 24, 2012
    • Admin February 5, 2012
  7. amandanh03242 February 14, 2012
  8. TAC March 1, 2012

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *