All You Need To Know About Black Mold

Threats to the safety of your healthy home come in all shapes and forms, including black mold spores. Any signs of black mold in and around your home can be a major sign of danger; and should be addressed as soon as possible to ensure that you and your family continue living in a safe and healthy environment and remove mold that poses a threat to your health.

Read on to find out everything you need to know about the dreaded black mold.

What Is Black Mold?

There are many types of mold, in a variety of colors. We have white, orange, green and black mold. Black mold, however, is the one that poses danger to humans and pets alike. Although the mold itself is not toxic, it releases highly toxic spores that can lead to a variety of negative health effects.

Black mold usually grows in moist warm conditions and has a characteristic smell that’s similar to that of mildew and must.

Health Effects

The inhalation or ingestion of black mold spores brings about a variety of negative health effects. Some of the common symptoms of exposure to black mold spores include chronic headaches, sneezing, coughing, irritation of the eyes and mucous membrane, mood swings, rashes, and chronic fatigue.

Exposure to black mold for an extended period can have severe health effects including vomiting, nausea, and bleeding in the lungs. These severe effects are usually compounded by the development of allergic reactions to exposure to black mold spores.

How To Get Rid Of Black Mold

Getting rid of black mold as soon as possible can help you avoid dealing with a serious infestation further down the line, in addition to the associated health effects. Although you can get rid of mold using a bleach solution, it is recommended that you call in a qualified professional when it comes to getting rid of black mold. This is because the improper handling of this toxic substance can lead to the release of more toxic spores into your indoor air, causing additional exposure.

Prevention

As previously stated, black mold thrives in a warm and moist environment. As such, it’s recommended that you eliminate unnecessary moisture in and around your home to keep black mold at bay.

Use dehumidifiers in areas of the house known to have moist conditions such as basements. A ceiling fan can help keep your bathroom dry and prevent the growth of black mold as well.

With the above information in mind, you can help keep your property free from black mold and safeguard your family against the effects of its toxic spores.